Habitat restoration and maintenance
Habitat restoration work in HLS scheme areas is being undertaken by the Forestry Commission to maintain them in good condition, which is necessary for continued Special Area of Conservation (SAC) designation.
The HLS scheme must improve the condition of each Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) unit within the New Forest SAC.
The Forestry Commission has designed a programme of works that will use HLS funds to spend on the remaining life of the scheme which runs until 2020.
The programme combines the plans for £750,000 per annum of wetland restoration with a programme for habitat protection, restoration, maintenance and monitoring works currently unfunded.
Programme of Works:
- Car Free Area upgrades (guttering/dragons teeth)
- Rhododendron Control
- Bracken management
- Habitat restoration within Inclosures thrown open
- Open Forest habitat restoration
- Lost lawn restoration
- Alder and willow coppicing
- Targeted monitoring of wetland restoration/species.